• Culinary Herb garden in a basket

by  • October 4, 2011 • How to, Projects • 7 Comments

Chives, Italian parsley, purple sage, dill and thyme

Chives, Italian parsley, purple sage, dill and thyme fit in the basket

Finding a large woven basket can be useful as a kitchen garden in a small garden or where deer abound. Sometimes having a basket of herbs close by the kitchen door, will discourage deer who tend to keep their distance. To make the basket last as long as possible fit a piece of heavy black plastic, with some drainage holes cut, inside before adding soil.

Chives are cut, then grow and cut again until the flowers are allowed to bloom, also edible!

Thyme, chives, parsley and sage are the most used herbs in my cooking, just the right amount for this basket. These colorful and pungent chive flowers found themselves in a salad, surprising my guests a bit. I particularly like to grow chives and Italian parsley because they come back each year in my Zone 7 garden.

Since this basket has been sturdy enough to leave outside for several years, when I move it, I’m careful to hold it from the bottom. I know it will eventually wear out, so I’m looking for replacements and keep these sturdy baskets on my mental list when going to thrift shops and Flea Markets.

Roasted Herb Potatoes
    Cut red or white potatoes in 6-8 wedges each.
    Mix 1 T olive oil for every three potatoes with a mixture of chopped rosemary, chives, thyme, parsley and sage.
    Add potatoes and toss. Spread on a baking sheet and roast at 425 for 30-40 minutes. I stand the potatoes on their skins, or mix them halfway through.

7 Responses to Culinary Herb garden in a basket

1. October 4, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Hi Sue
      Where does your Thyme come from. Does it grow wild ??
      I ask because it is spread very widely here. A relic of the gold days and the miners. I blogged about it once before.
      Much of our stuff came from California. While the Thyme is a native of Spain and the med, maybe it came with all the Californians who came here for the gold in the 1860s

• October 4, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I’m not sure of the origin of thyme before being available in nurseries in California. I know there is a wide variety to be found here, it’s beautiful and useful and the deer won’t touch it. Have you found that rabbits eat it? Interesting that the miner’s had it.

2. October 5, 2011 at 7:33 am

What a great idea! I actually own two baskets that might just fit the bill. Well, better wait until spring with that…

• October 5, 2011 at 9:03 am

I keep mine within a few feet of the house and the deer don’t bother it. They might like the parsley and lettuce. 🙂

3. October 5, 2011 at 9:22 am

Our deer must be more brazen than yours. I had them once climb the stairs to the front deck (the one we pulled out), and stare into the living room through the bay window! They also ate the Habanero peppers in a pot by the back door (so I suspect my herbs would mowed down in short order)! No shame 😉 I do love the basket idea though. Pretty, and free draining, easily portable, and herbs do so well in small containers.

• October 5, 2011 at 9:34 am

Clare, I think my only saving grace is that the deer don’t like the narrow and probably slippery concrete surfce of the patio. There is a very narrow area on the south side of the house where they have ‘allowed’ two climbing roses to grow up and soon the main branches will be higher than they can reach. They have looked in our windows as well and I’ve decidied I like them more than any plant! 🙂

4. October 5, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Nothing here will touch the thyme in the wild. It’s very very strong. Great for a little sprinkled on food but you would not put a sprig into your mouth.
      However I would not know of if our thyme is stronger or weaker than other varieties or how it grows in other places.