• The rock outside the back door

by  • May 25, 2011 • Garden, Home Building, Spring • 15 Comments

When we first saw our property and took the first photos there was somewhat of a circle drive that became our house pad. There was a slope of about 15 degrees, so to make the “pad” level, they bulldozer guy did what is called ‘cut and fill’.  The hill was cut into to, and that dirt was pushed down the slope and compacted to make the 100’ x 50’ level area.

Rock in 2000

Rock in 2000

Well, right in the middle of this, is a medium, big-sized rock with a small oak tree growing out of it. We knew not where the rock would be in relation to our house, were hoping that we’d not have to remove it.

Here is the after.

Rock outside back door

The tree has grown a bit.

The rock is now part of the entry garden area. In the country, most friends come to the back door, right?

Other side of rock

Other side of rock is a bench

For the second year, this little poppy has grown out of the rock. Nice!

This poppy is making itself at home on the rock, as are a variety of lichens, mosses and fungi.

15 Responses to The rock outside the back door

1. May 25, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Beautiful rock! And I love the way the poppy is managing to grow right out of it.

2. May 26, 2011 at 1:09 am

I think that’s one great rock. If it hadn’t been there already, you would have had to crane one in. Good poppy too.

3. May 26, 2011 at 1:09 am

4. May 26, 2011 at 10:27 am

It’s great, adds so much to the landscape how it’s sited. And the poppy is perfect. It’s amazing how some plants will grow in pure rock.

5. May 26, 2011 at 10:27 am

6. May 26, 2011 at 10:38 am

cool!

7. May 26, 2011 at 10:38 am

cool!

8. May 28, 2011 at 4:18 am

Oh, Sue! I absolutely LOVE rocks and one the size of yours is something I can only dream of! You have incorporated it and the tree most wonderfully into your landscaping…I am sitting here, truly bright green with envy! It looks stunning as a feature set in amongst your delightful garden and the oak has certainly grown into an already impressive tree with the love and attention all your gardening endeavours have lavished upon it. I’d spend LOTS of time in that spot if it were mine!!!

It’s so wonderful to see the BEFORE & the NOW, 10 years down the line…you have honestly worked a miracle with your land!

I love the moss clinging to your rock and the poppy growing from it is just too gorgeous for words 🙂 Did I say I’m envious???

• May 28, 2011 at 8:20 am

Thanks, Desiree! It’s still pretty wild here and we kind of groom up those areas. The garden per se is all around the house where I can keep an eye on it, but because I had two new faucet put in down a level it’s only encouraging me to push it out a little further. About the rock…we were just hoping it didn’t end up having to be in the middle of the kitchen!

9. May 28, 2011 at 4:18 am

• May 28, 2011 at 8:20 am

10. May 28, 2011 at 4:21 am

Ooo! Forgot to say how much I loved the cartoon you chose to accompany this post! Now I understand why my hubby patiently tells me those nice-sized rocks I see and want us to bring back home in the boot of the car are too big!

11. May 28, 2011 at 4:21 am

12. May 29, 2011 at 3:05 am

Just THINK what a conversation piece the rock would have been, had it ended up as part of the kitchen furniture 😉

13. May 29, 2011 at 3:05 am