• wordless weedy wednesday

by  • March 16, 2011 • How to, wordless • 10 Comments

Erodiums, cicutarium (L) and botrys (R)

Filaree! Erodiums, cicutarium (L) and botrys (R)

In comes the surgeon's knife...

In comes the surgeon's knife...

....a satisfying 'pop'....

....a satisfying 'pop'.... (on the left,you can see the delicate stems of the wild bulbs I have to avoid)

'Pop'

'Pop!' The serrated edge helps pull the weed out

I love weeding

I love weeding };-)

CA Native Seedlings
    Existing and introduced California native and non native seedling photos

10 Responses to wordless weedy wednesday

1. March 16, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I’m reading and enjoying your blog! Thanks for stopping by mine and making me aware of your fine writing.

2. March 16, 2011 at 2:58 pm

3. March 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Looks like the perfect weeding tool to me. I’ve been struggling to keep some weeds out of where I’ve sown some native annuals, at least until they get a foot-hold. Pulling the weeds disturbs too many seedlings, but cutting, or carefully prying them out with something small is much less damaging.

4. March 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm

5. March 17, 2011 at 7:33 am

That looks scary — I usually just pull, worried that I’d be sure to slice off a thumb (got close once with a rotary cutter, fortunately grazed off the bone. That area is still a little knumb…). Reading your blog does make me wonder about getting away from it all….

6. March 17, 2011 at 7:33 am

7. March 17, 2011 at 8:08 am

Now there’s a new use for an old kitchen knife…seems to serve the weeding tool function pretty smartly, too!

8. March 17, 2011 at 8:08 am

9. March 17, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Welcome, Brent. Thanks!
      Clare, I hadn’t thought about not disturbing the soil, but you’re right, it’s easy to get in among the small seedlings this way.
      Town Mouse, try it, you’ll like it. For annual weeds you won’t have to dig and fewer weed seeds will be exposed. I haven’t cut myself with it not like with my own bypass clippers. Perennial weeds will be a different story.
      Desiree, when this one wears out, and I’m sure it will, I can just get another at a thrift store. I’ve taken to bringing my knife along on walks with Maggie. If I weed too long she’ll whimper, “Come…on!”

10. March 17, 2011 at 1:35 pm