• wordless whistling wednesday- Wild birds of NZ

Saturday-The Plants of New Zealand

Bellbird

Tui

Wood Pigeon

Weka

Pukeko

Non native stoats, a weasel-type animal, rats, weasels, possums, cats and hedgehogs prey on New Zealand’s ground living, relatively fearless birds. The only native mammals of NZ are two, long and short tailed bats.      Now, for some fun….NZ ads for energy company uses Pukekos in their ads:

Identifying NZ Forest Birds

Tommorrow– Thursday- Nelson, New Zealand

7 Responses to wordless whistling wednesday- Wild birds of NZ

1. February 2, 2011 at 7:01 pm

That was great fun! I just watched the climate change videos… Sounds like you have a great time.

• February 2, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I did, thanks, Mouse. And I forgot to mention anywhere yet that there are CA quail there! I saw a family with 10-12 of the tiniest babies I’ve ever seen….didn’t have my camera, so just observed. Adorable! Quail were probably brought there long ago as a food source and some escaped….nice.

2. February 3, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Sue, I’m an avid amateur birder, so these videos were just great! The Pukeko reminds me of our native Moorhens. And (per your reply to Town Mouse), California Quail? Unbelievable! We have resident coveys on our property, including those cute little babies, and am surprised that they have populated themselves in NZ. Looking forward to more of your posts on this beautiful corner of the world.

• February 5, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Hi Arleen, I’ll have to look up moorhens! I learned a lot from doing this series, and from going there. My sister loves gardening and wildlife, native plants and family history, so it is truly heaven when we gt together. Her husband simply hides in the garage when we start talking, but is nice enough to cook for us and pour the wine as we soak in the hot tub. Now, you see why I like to go? hahaha

After looking up moorhens…it was amazing to find out that in NZ and AU, pukekos are called Swamphens.
        Wkipedia says about Pukekos, redirecting to Purple swamphen.

The Purple Swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio), also known as the African Purple Swamphen, Purple Moorhen
        and both are from the Rallidae family. Huh! I like the name Pukeko, though.

3. February 11, 2011 at 9:12 am

Oh, Sue! What a magical post! All these bird sounds are too beautiful & so very different from the ones we hear in South Africa! I’ll definitely come back again to enjoy them all!!!

• February 11, 2011 at 10:10 am

Do come back and listen to them all, Desiree. They are so different and musical…I love them!

4. Pingback: NZ Week- Art and Gardens of Nelson, NZ | Sierra Foothill Garden