• Preparing for a trip to New Zealand

by  • January 3, 2011 • Summer, Take a NZ vacation, Winter • 13 Comments

Dunedin Botanical Garden

Dunedin Botanical Garden

Winter here in California is summer in New Zealand. Yes, the water circles the bathtub drain the other direction in the Southern hemisphere and from California, you lose a day going there and return three hours before you left on the trip back home!

I’ve learned much more about New Zealand since my sister moved there 14 years ago. In a few days, I’ll be making my third trip down under.

My sister, after moving there, began learning about the native Moari, the indigenous people, the history of New Zealand and since she enjoys gardening, about native NZ plants. She and her hubbie are wonderful hosts, always showing our family great times there, which usually include hiking through the rainforest areas, beach trips where the New Zealand silver ferns grow all the way down to the shore and spectacular trips to public gardens.

Hebe, left, Flax, Mirror plant, bottom

Hebe, left, Flax, Mirror plant, bottom

To me, most of the names of the native plants are exotic and a mystery, so I have tried to do a little digging before I go. Here are some that we all know.

New Zealand Tea Tree   Leptospermum
    New Zealand Flax Phormium

and a few you may not know come from NZ:

New Zealand Hair Sedge    Carex
    Totara, Mahogany Pine  Podocarpus
    Mirror Bush, Creeping Mirror Plant Coprosma
    Showy Hebe or Boxleaf Hebe   Hebe
    Pittosporum tenuifolium  ‘Silver Sheen’
    Cabbage Tree , or Palm Lily, Cordyline
    New Zealand Christmas Tree  Metrosideros

A big nursery like Monrovia, which is in Southern California and also in a climate which is best for new Zealand natives, has several flaxes and other plants from New Zealand listed here.

One you might think is from NZ, Kiwi vine, but it is actually from China!

Rock Garden
    As a result of my last trip to NZ and a visit to the Dunedin Botanical Garden, I began a rock garden, and although it has far to go before looking like the fantastic rock garden I saw, it’s a start and gives me much pleasure. The photos below were my inspiration. Here layered among basalt rocks and decomposed granite paths were dwarf evergreens, fir, spruce and pine, and creepers and spillers, like sedum, helichrysum and Raoulia. A stunner was the Fairy Wand, Dierama pulcherrimum.

Not all were natives here as in most botanical gardens, but since that’s what we’ll be concentrating on for my sister’s garden, I’m sure to learn some new names.

See plants from New Zealand:

NZ Week- Friday — Picton and the Marlborough Sounds
    NZ Week- Saturday — The Plants of New Zealand

Another NZ post!
    A New Zealand inspired California rock garden

13 Responses to Preparing for a trip to New Zealand

1. January 3, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Oooh! Have a great trip. I wish I had family down there to visit. We went a couple years ago for 5 weeks and are still considering moving there someday. Have you seen the massive Kauri trees on the North Island? I liken them to the Kiwi version of CA’s giant sequoias or coast redwoods in age and size.

2. January 3, 2011 at 7:04 pm

3. January 3, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Oh, what a perfect time to go! Right after the holiday rush, and you’ll be back in time for the spring blooms. I hope…Enjoy!

4. January 3, 2011 at 7:46 pm

5. January 4, 2011 at 6:51 am

So smart, flying south for he winter! The best winter I ever spent was in the southern hemisphere. Have a great trip!

6. January 4, 2011 at 6:51 am

7. January 4, 2011 at 10:45 am

Katie, I’ll have to ask my sister about the Kauri trees, for sure. Shes really become familiar with all the plants there. I feel I’m good with Latin names but the Moari names are mindboggling.
      Dear Mouse, yes, a little bit of summer will be a luxury. I’m going through my summer clothes right now. Last time I remember the beautiful Lily of the Nile blooming everywhere there.
      Clare, I never thought of it that way but it nice to think of myself as a bird flying south for the winter. hahaha Actually, I wish I could twitch my nose like Samantha on Bewitched and I’d be there! not on a broom, tho.
      I will keep in touch…if you are on FB, it’s ‘Sue Langley’ or ‘Madera County Gardening Examiner’ ‘Friend’ me… Back at the end of the month

8. January 4, 2011 at 10:45 am

9. January 9, 2011 at 9:59 am

Wow, sounds like you’re about to experience a great destination. In the nurseries here the Australians seem to get all the mention, though the New Zealanders are right there in the mix without getting the glory. Podocarpus is a fairly common sighting in my area–even my parents new tract house had one provided for them. Enjoy the trip and take lots of photos!

• February 5, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Hi James, just finished the last post on the plants of NZ and I think you could look for some of these for your SD garden. NZ Week- The Plants of New Zealand: http://wp.me/p10S9N-q2

10. January 9, 2011 at 9:59 am

• February 5, 2011 at 2:03 pm

11. Pingback: A New Zealand inspired California rock garden | Sierra Foothill Garden