• Using ‘found’ broken pots in the garden

by  • November 23, 2010 • Design, Projects • 7 Comments

Oh, no! Someone has knocked down a pot of flowers and broken it!  Ah, well, it happens… And sometimes you see a broken pot at a sale and think why in the world are they selling that?  But wait, these can be bargains!

Here is what I do. First I  started putting  a ‘carpet’ of broken terra cotta pots under the hose bib.

Broken terracotta clay pots can still be used near the hose.

Broken terracotta clay pots can still be used near the hose.

A place was found  to use this set of broken blue pots found at the flea market.  I knocked them over and before I ever got to plant them!

Broken blue pots
    Broken blue pots

What really hurt was  this broken Bauer pot, a treasure found at a University Flea Market in my favorite color!  Broken from being left out in freezing weather most likely. I found a spot for the pieces which pleases me, next to the Germander sage, Salvia chamaedryoides, a color match. Eases the pain a bit!

Broken Bauer pot

Broken Bauer pot, ouch, that hurts...

This idea below, seen on a  garden tour, comes obviously from the heartbreak of a large broken pot. Planted with sedum and echeveria with small mushrooms placed inside it makes a now charming accent to a flower bed.

So if you see broken or flawed pots at a thrift store or tag sale, you know they can be used in the garden with a little creative imagination!

Share and Enjoy

7 Responses to Using ‘found’ broken pots in the garden

1. Sudie Goodman
      January 4, 2011 at 11:30 am

Zone 8b, Heat Zone 9, deep, southeast, TX on Lake Sam Rayburn.

Wonderful ideas on using broken clay pieces.

Thanks, & HAPPY NEW YEAR

2. January 5, 2011 at 11:51 am

Thanks, Sudie, I once saw a nursery where they used broken pots on their paths…must have had some slippery fingered workers there!

3. July 19, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I would cry if I broke one of my vintage pots especially the Bauers; just found a nice white one when we went antiquing 2 weekends ago.

4. Jeanne Sammons
      July 19, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Love recycling broken pots! That’s why I like the ‘real-life’ pots …instead of the light-wt fiber or foam ones (but I do have a few of those, too)…lots of terra cotta find their way into my garden beds! & esp half-pots…I dropped & broke one just recently…now next Spring my ‘Jack-in-the’Pulpit’ should grow w/a little protection! Your gardens are beautiful, Sue L.!

• July 19, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Brian, I wanted to cry about the Bauer pot,…they are hard to acquire without a home equity loan these days. Jeanne, I know! A plastic pot breaks and what do you have? Not much!

5. July 19, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Could always use it for a BEAUTIFUL mosaic new flower pot ! :)

6. July 19, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Or even use the broken chunks for homemade stepping stones (old cake pans, non stick cooking spray, and cement …add acrylic paint for colorful cement )