• Design in Nature

by  • October 7, 2010 • Fall • 7 Comments

In art school, we had an assignment on ‘Design in Nature’, and that, I think, inspired my love of patterns found in plants and close-up photos of nature in general.  I bought three macro filters…as macro lenses were too expensive for my Minolta SRT 101 single lens reflex camera I had saved for when I was a teen.  Here are some recent photos found in the garden this month:

Artemisa 'Powis Castle' and Red fountain grass

Artemisa ‘Powis Castle’ and Red fountain grass

Brachycome and Mullein

Brachycome and Mullein

Common Mullein Verbascum thapsus

Common Mullein Verbascum thapsus

Donkeytail spurge, Euphorbia myrsinites

Donkeytail spurge, Euphorbia myrsinites

Ajuga and Woolly sage

Ajuga and Woolly sage

Ajuga and Woolly sage

Ajuga and Woolly sage

I love the way the ajuga looks next to the thyme like a needlepoint pattern.

Ajuga, Brachycome, Mullein and Woolly sage

Ajuga, Brachycome, Mullein and Woolly sage

That big leafed mullein just volunteered itself there. Nice, but I won’t let it seed there. 😀

Hens and chicks, Dudlya cymosa

Hens and chicks, Dudlya cymosa

I promise myself to do more of these macros. It’s fun!

7 Responses to Design in Nature

1. October 7, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Love that fuzzy photo of the Verbascum! There’s so much to see…

• October 13, 2010 at 9:49 am

I love your blog, Mouse! Thanks! I still have to get my blog roll going….once I found out what it was!! 🙂

2. October 8, 2010 at 11:29 pm

I’m still saving for a macro lens for my Canon and I bought it 18 months ago. It’s actually pretty funny because lots of less expensive point and shoot cameras do macro shots automatically. Maybe after I get through the instruction book (if that day ever comes) I’ll treat myself to a macro lens. It couldn’t hurt the quality of my blog, that’s for sure.

Christine in Alaska

• October 13, 2010 at 9:51 am

It’s worth it, Christine, if you really enjoy close up photography. These types of photos are fascinating because they give you a view not many see. I love it!

3. October 9, 2010 at 9:04 am

That Artemisa and Red fountain grass look grate together!

• October 13, 2010 at 10:04 am

Hi Sunny, Thanks! I took a look at your latest post on the stone river. Wonderful work!

4. October 13, 2010 at 10:08 am

Thanks, Bom. Nice to hear from you so far away! I see you have a post on macro, too! Neat.